St. Lawrence Egoji Teachers college was established in 1959 by the Catholic diocese of Meru. It was started by the Consolata Fathers led by the first Bishop of Meru Rt. Rev. Victor Bessone and Rev. Fr. La-Greca who was the first Principal and Chaplain. The college was initially started at Muthara in Meru North District. The Tigania people refused to provide adequate land for construction of the college. On 1st March 1960 the college was moved to the current site whereby the residents of Kianjogu location offered 100 acres for the construction of the college. The college started with 25 male P3 teacher trainees. The first lecturers were Rev. Father La-Greca, James Mutiria, Elias Nkamani and Rev. Fr. Botto.
In the same year 1960 St. Mary’s teachers college was established at Egoji adjacent to the Catholic parish for women only. It started with six women teacher trainees.