The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at MSU
Michigan state university
Submission Deadline: January 4, 2017
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
The program is open to residents and citizens of Sub-Saharan African countries. Students who are already enrolled in degree programs in Africa or elsewhere are not eligible for the program. Students who are accepted to the program demonstrate the following qualities:
- Strong academic performance to date in secondary school, suggesting continued academic success as an undergraduate student.
- Demonstrated interest and capacity for serving others through engagement in volunteer activities in school and/or community.
- Leadership potential.
- Ability to cope with change, and interest in other countries and cultures.
- Significant financial need and/or from lowest income bracket in country of origin.
- Commitment to return to serve home country or region in ways that enhance economic growth and social development.
Resubmitting an Application
Undergraduate applicants who would like to resubmit their MSU application to be considered for a future semester may change their desired term of enrollment via their online admissions student portal. Students can reapply in October of the following application cycle.
Applicants do not need to resubmit academic documents already received by the MSU Office of Admissions. Students only need to submit:
- Missing materials or new academic information not provided with the initial application for admission;
- An updated MSU MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program application and recommendation form.
The updated application and recommendation form for the following fall are first made available in September on the Undergraduate Application page.
Advanced Enrollment Deposit
If you are accepted as a MasterCard Foundation Scholar, you are not required to submit the $250 Advanced Enrollment Deposit (AED). The MasterCard scholarship will cover this fee for those accepted to the Program. Selected scholars will be directed to take steps to secure their F-1 Visa.
MasterCard Foundation Scholar candidates are not required to submit financial information, including an Affidavit of Support, Statement of Financial Proof, or supporting bank statement. The only financial documentation required is contained in the MSU MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program application.
Standardized Tests and English Language Requirements
English Language Requirements
MSU currently does not waive English language requirements for any country in Africa, even if the primary language of students' schooling is English. (See MSU's English language proficiency requirements for more details.) International students must provide English language proficiency examination results to be considered for admission to MSU. Students only need to take one of the following exams to prove English language proficiency:
The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship is not available to those who only qualify for provisional admission based on their TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Undergraduate applicants must provide either WAEC/NECO Scratch Card information, official or certified copies of O and A level results, or any National High School Leaving Examination results. We realize that these examinations differ by country. If you have any questions about what is required for applicants from your country, please contact .
For More Information
For more information about the program, contact The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at MSU.